Ged Math practice quiz 5 - online test

How would you classify 3b2?

Quadratic monomial

2nd degree monomial

1st degree binomial

2nd degree binomial

2nd degree trinomial

3b2 is a monomial of second degree.

When multiplying the two binomials (2x – 1) and (-3x + 5), what is the value of the middle term in the resulting trinomial?

-7x

13x

-3x

3x

10x

Given the number 200,314.05435, which digit is in the thousandths place?

5

4

3

1

In the number 200,314.05435, 4 is in the thousandths place. To the right of the decimal is the tenths place; to the right of the tenths is, hundredths; and to the right of the hundredths place is the thousandths place. You can create a place value chart to organize the digits.

Which is a correct scenario?

Josh scored a 90% on his quiz. This means that he answered 9 out of 10 correct.

Maurice baked a pie for the school fair. He sold 75% of the pie or 7 out of 8 pieces.

Naomi invited 25 people to her birthday party and 20% didn’t show. This means that 4 out of 25 did not come.

28% of Mrs. Johnson’s students were out sick with the flu. This means that 8 out of her 25 students were absent.

Nathan made 85% of the baskets that he shot in the basketball game. This means that he made 16 out of 20 shots.

Robbie and Nick are starting an after-school sports club. They want to set aside time 35% of their time for drills and the remainder of the time for scrimmages. If they spend 12.
5 hours per week with the club, how many hours will they be scrimmaging?

2.8 hours

4.375 hours

5.2 hours

8.125 hours

81.25 hours

The question asks how much time the boys spend scrimmaging. If the boys devote 35% of the time to drills, the remaining 65% of the time is spent scrimmaging. Find 65% of 12.5 by multiplying. 0.65 by 12.5, which is 8.125 hours.

Stacey is competing in her school’s math-a-thon. Her neighbor has sponsored her and will donate $0.10 for every five math problems she completes.
If she can complete 30 problems per hour and the math-a-thon lasts for 6 hours, how much money will her neighbor donate?

$12.00

$9.00

$18.00

$36.00

$3.60

Stacy can complete 30 problems an hour. In six hours, she can complete 30 times six, or 180 problems. Stacey’s neighbor is donating $0.10 for every 5 math problems. The words, “for every” represent the ratio 0.10/5. This is set equal to x/180, since each compares the amount of money to a number of problems. Then, cross multiply and isolate the variable to find that x = 3.6, or $3.60.

What is the complement of an angle with a measure of 32°?

328°

148°

212°

122°

58°

Two angles are complementary when they have a sum of 90°. So, if one angle has a measure of 32°, then the other angle is equal to 90° - 32°, which equals 58°.

Which polygons’ interior angle measures have a sum of 360°?

A parallelogram and a square

A triangle and a trapezoid

A pentagon and a rhombus

A square and a triangle

A rhombus and a hexagon

The sum of the interior angles of a quadrilateral is 360°. A quadrilateral is a 4-sided figure; therefore a square and a parallelogram both have interior angle measures which add to 360°.

Which polygons’ interior angle measures have a sum of 360°?

A parallelogram and a square

A triangle and a trapezoid

A pentagon and a rhombus

A square and a triangle

A rhombus and a hexagon

The sum of the interior angles of a quadrilateral is 360°. A quadrilateral is a 4-sided figure; therefore a square and a parallelogram both have interior angle measures which add to 360°.

How many meters are in 7.24 kilometers?

724

72.4

7240

0.00724

0.000724

To convert meters to kilometers, multiply by 1000, which is the same as moving the decimal three places to the right. Therefore, there are 7,240 meters in 7.24 kilometers.

Dan is analyzing the diet of American teenagers. He decides to survey the teens that live in his neighborhood.
What kind of sample has he chosen?

Simple random sample

Stratified random sample

Systematic random sample

Convenience sample

Voluntary response

Dan has taken a convenience sample. In a convenience sample, participants are chosen from a convenient subgroup.

Josh has five ties and wants to wear a different tie each weekday.
How many different ways can he wear the ties?

5

10

25

120

3125

To find the number of outcomes, multiply together the number of choices that Josh has each day. On the first day, he has a choice of five ties. On the next day, since he wants to wear a different tie, he only has 4 choices. The third day, he has 3 choices, then 2, and finally 1. The total number of outcomes is found by multiplying 5 × 4 × 3 × 2 × 1, which results in 120 choices.

What is the mode of this set of numbers: {33, 26, 18, 29, 12, 17}?

16

22

22.5

33

There is no mode.

There are no numbers which occur more frequently than the other numbers in the set. So, there is no mode.